You can access the distribution details by navigating to My pre-printed books > Distribution
West Bengal Judicial Service (Preliminary) Examination
West Bengal Judicial Service-2017
West Bengal Judicial Service-2018
West Bengal Judicial Service-2019
West Bengal Judicial Service-2020
PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION (West Bengal)
West Bengal Judicial Service Examination
SCHEME AND SYLLABUS
Preliminary Examination : The Preliminary Examination will consist of one paper of Objective Type containing 200 Multiple Choice Questions. The paper will carry 200 marks and will be of 2 .30 hours ‘duration.
The Standard of the paper will be of the level of knowledge as expected of a graduate in Law of a recognized University. The paper will include questions covering the following fields of knowledge:
1. English Composition - 30 marks
2. GK, Current Affairs
and Test of Reasoning - 40 marks
3. Indian Constitution - 20 marks
4. Law of Contracts and Torts --20 marks
5. Laws of Evidence - 20 marks
6. Civil Procedure Codes - 20 marks
7. Cr. P. C. and I. P. C. - 20 marks
8. Personal Law - 10 marks
9. Law of Limitation - 20 marks
Syllabus for Preliminary Examination: Questions on English Composition will cover synonyms, antonyms, idioms and phrases, vocabulary test, phrasal verbs, the same words bearing more than one meaning, use of appropriate and qualifying words etc.
Final Examination: The Final examination will consist of eight compulsory papers and three papers on optional subjects to be chosen by the candidates from the list of Optional Subjects. Each compulsory and Optional paper will carry 100 marks and will be of three hours duration.
Compulsory Papers :
1. English Composition, essay, précis writing;
2. Bengali/Hindi/Urdu/Nepali/Santali composition, essay and translation from English into Bengali/Hindi/Urdu /Nepali/Santali ;
3. General Knowledge and Current Affairs ;
4. Civil procedure Code ;
5. Criminal Procedure Code and Indian Penal Code ;
6. Indian Evidence Act ;
7. Law of Contracts and Torts and
8. Transfer of Property Act.
Optional Papers (any three to be chosen) :
1. Hindu Law ;
2. Muhammadan Law ;
3. Jurisprudence and principles of legislation ;
4. Indian Law relating to Companies and Insurance ;
5. Principles of Equity including the Law of Trusts and Specific Relief ;
6. Partnership Act ;
7. Law of Limitation and Law of Prescription ;
8. The Indian Constitution and Constitutional Law. The standard of examination in the Law papers (Compulsory and Optional) will be that of the LL.B. Degree of the Calcutta University.
• Language : All answers must be written either in English or in Bengali (unless otherwise directed in the question papers) except in the language papers.
Personality Test : 100 marks. The Preliminary Examination is meant to serve as a screening test only for the purpose of selection of candidates for the Final Examination. The marks obtained by the candidates in the Preliminary
• Examination will not be counted for the purpose of determining the final merit list.
• The Final merit list will be prepared on the basis of total marks obtained in the Final Examination and the Personality Test.
• There shall be no separate qualifying marks for any individual paper or for the Personality Test.
• The Commission shall have discretion to fix qualifying marks in the aggregate.
• In all the answer papers of the Final Examination due credit will be given for proper economy of words combined with clarity and effectiveness of expression and originality of approach.
PENALTY : Debarment for 3 (three) years from appearing in all examinations conducted by the P.S.C., W.B. in addition to cancellation of candidature of the examination in case of disclosure of identity by the candidate..